It is crucial that you take proper care of your new tattoo. Your artist is not responsible for any issues resulting from poor aftercare. Your tattoo can turn into a disaster if you do not follow these guidelines.
Keep it covered
DO NOT let anyone touch your new tattoo. Keep your new tattoo covered to protect it from air-born bacteria. Open flesh is a breeding ground for infection. Leave the bandage on for a minimum of one hour. If Saniderm is used, keep on for 2-3 DAYS. We recommend that you remove the Saniderm in the shower, allowing water to wash over the tattoo and Saniderm as you remove it. You will notice a slime forming underneath the Saniderm – do not be alarmed, this is normal.
Washing Your Tattoo
Use lukewarm water, and gentle soap (such as Cetaphil) to gently wash the area. DO NOT use a washcloth, just your hand. If your tattoo feels slimy, this is plasma. Try to gently remove as much of this as possible, as when the plasma dries on the skin surface, it will create scabs. Gently pat (do not rub) the area firmly with a clean paper towel. *DO NOT use cloth towels as they hold bacteria.* Follow with a light application of Aquaphor or Cetaphil lotion. Use these products for a minimum of two weeks. *DO NOT use Neosporin or alcohol!*
Bathing and Swimming
You can shower with a new tattoo. It’s ok to get your tattoo wet, but DO NOT soak your new tattoo. Submerging your tattoo in a bath, hot tub, or pool can cause damage or infection, so avoid those for 2-3 weeks. Showering is fine, as long as you don’t saturate your tattoo. Swimming should be avoided for at least 2 weeks.
Scabbing and Peeling
After a few days, you may notice some peeling and possibly a little scabbing – this is normal, no need to panic. *Do not apply ointment or lotion to scabs.* You will also start to itch when it begins to heal. *DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH YOUR TATTOO!* If the skin itches, slap it. If it is peeling, put lotion on it. If it is scabbing, leave it alone.
After your tattoo is healed, always protect it from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. These can fade and damage your tattoo. Use a minimum of 30-SPF sunblock.
- Remove the bandage after 2 to 3 hours unless Saniderm is used –keep Saniderm on for 2-3 DAYS.
- Wash the tattoo area with lukewarm water and glycerin soap.
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Apply a thin layer of Cetaphil lotion or Aquaphor.
- Don’t scratch, peel or pick at your tattoo.
- Avoid hot tubs, swimming pools and the beach during the healing process (approximately 2 weeks)
- Always apply a high SPF sunscreen on the tattoo before exposure to the sun
What NOT to Do:
- DO NOT let anyone touch your new tattoo.
- DO NOT use Neosporin or ointments other than recommended.
- DO NOT use rubbing alcohol, peroxide or cortisone.
- DO NOT use washcloths or towels as they can harbor bacteria.
- DO NOT pick, peel or scratch your new tattoo.
- DO NOT soak your new tattoo.
- DO NOT expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us